Sunday 15 September 2013

Beauty | Weekly Roundup


Another week has flown by and it's really starting to feel like autumn outside! I'm sitting here with my slippers on, cup of tea in hand and a bottle of Olbas Oil at my side because, alas, I've gone and caught a cold. That hasn't stopped me from getting outside and enjoying the colder weather though! This morning Chris and I had a hearty full English breakfast at O'Neils followed by a brisk walk through the park on the way home, where we spotted some deer and snapped a few pictures of the autumn leaves. I love how crisp the air feels! 

This week I've been focusing on cultivating a good base for the colder months, testing out primers and reaching for skin brightening highlighters. Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro Primer (£6.99) has been my go-to, with its creamy and not at all plastic-y texture being suited perfectly to the colder weather. It definitely helps anchor foundation and concealer, although it doesn't quite have the staying power of my trusty Revlon primer. Keep your peepers peeled for my primer comparison post, coming soon! Seventeen Skin Wow! 3 Way Highlighter (£5.99) (review here) has been my brightening tool of choice this week. I dab a little highlighter fluid across my cheek bones and brow bones before blending gently with my fingers, and the lovely white-silver tone picks up the light beautifully. The frosty finish reminds me of Christmas, which really isn't that far away now! Beauty Christmas lists at the ready!

Due to my cold I haven't been sleeping much at night, so an industrial strength concealer has been top of my makeup requirements! Another beauty bargain, I've been seriously impressed with Seventeen Phwoarr Paint Heavy Duty Under Eye Concealer (£5.49) which has the same thick yet blendable texture as Benefit Boi-ing concealer, my all-time favourite for covering dark circles. Phwoarr Paint is a truly brilliant dupe and I'd even go so far as to say I prefer it to Benefit overall due to the purse friendly price! It also works wonders at covering spots and blemishes and the formula doesn't melt or slide, which is more than can be said for my MAC Studio Finish Concealer, unfortunately. I'm really intrigued by Seventeen's other recent primer and concealer releases, as I bet they're just as impressive. 

I've been favouring a quick and easy neutral eye, reaching for Topshop 'Sable' Kohl Pencil (£4) and Maybelline the Rocket Volum' Express Mascara (£7.99). The texture of Topshop's liner is extremely soft and so easy to blend, and it's a beautiful rich dark brown shade which I tend to prefer to lighter, redder browns. It's great for adding definition when smudged with my ELF blending brush, or with a cotton brush if I'm at Chris's without all of my tools! I picked up Maybelline's the Rocket on a bit of a whim as I've been trying to find my perfect mascara, and after my bridal hair & makeup trial last Saturday I've realised I've been applying mascara incorrectly for a long, long time! No wonder I've always been so fussy! I apply this one looking down, as in not looking in the mirror at all, which sounds slightly dangerous but the results are so much better! I no longer suffer from transfer on my eyelids, and Maybelline the Rocket gives incredible volume with intense black colour. I'm hooked! I've also invested in a pair of Superdrug Eyelash Curlers (£1.99) which are brilliant at opening up eyes and adding some shape to lashes before sweeping on mascara. 

As for lips, I've been crushing hard on the new Rimmel Colour Rush Balm (£5.99) range. Pictured is 'Keep Mauving', a gorgeous autumnal deep berry shade that I can't get enough of. I've used this every day since purchasing and I can't recommend it enough, from the gorgeous berry colour to the sweet vanilla scent and truly long lasting colour and shine. My lips feel moisturised and soft, essential when battling a cold! Alongside the Soap & Glory Gloss Stick range these are my favourite lip crayons. I also picked up a brighter red shade which I'll be reviewing soon. Just gorgeous!


In terms of skincare I've been working hard at balancing my crazy skin's needs, what with the sudden drop in temperature and turning on of central heating. Face wise, I've been using La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo (£13) after reading rave reviews, and it really does seem to be helping calm blemishes without drying my skin. In the mornings I use this before applying primer, skipping moisturiser as I find it moisturising enough by itself. It gives a comfortable matte finish, a perfect base for makeup. In the evenings I let it sink in before applying a light layer of moisturiser for added hydration. While I wouldn't call it a miracle cure, Effaclar Duo is working well at maintaining balance and soothing inflammation, especially around my troublesome chin area. 

Body wise, autumn and winter inevitably see me reaching for Jergen's Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Body Moisturiser (£5.99), which my Mum discovered on a trip to Michigan a few years ago. She came home with a huge bottle shortly before the launch of Jergens lotions in the UK, and when we saw that their Ultra Healing lotion was on sale here we stocked up! This handy little travel size tube actually came free with a magazine many months ago but I've got a big bottle with a pump dispenser in the bathroom, ready to be slathered on post-bath. Lightly scented with a balm like texture and fast drying formula, this lotion is the ultimate in winter comfort as it gives long lasting moisturisation and isn't at all sticky or tacky, which is essential when pulling on tights or skinny jeans! 

I hope you've had a wonderful week and are having an enjoyable, relaxing Sunday. Which products have you been reaching for over the past seven days or so? I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Baci e abbracci, 
         post signature


11 comments :

  1. I've heard great things about the Seventeen concealer, it sounds lovely. Some really good picks here x

    www.crazylins.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anya, the Seventeen concealer really is amazing! Such a good price and it delivers like a high end product. I'm so impressed!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a lovely post! I now want to try the rimmel crayons and their primer. I'm after a good primer for the colder months so this will probably be the one I'll start with (:

    Eve x | ChantellEve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! Let me know what you think, it definitely seems like a good cold weather primer :) Not at all drying! The Rimmel crayons are brilliant, my newest obsession! I was getting a little tired of all the different crayons being released but these ones are so moisturising and they leave a lovely tint once the initial balm has eventually worn off xx

      Delete
  4. Ooooh that Seventeen Highlighter sounds very lovely - I need to check their new releases out. I have the Revlon Skinlights which might be just like it, but of course I'd need to buy the Seventeen one just in case it's not :D xxx

    Gem │ ♥ │ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Gemma I like your style! Likewise I need to get my hands on the Revlon one, for research purposes obviously! ;) xx

      Delete
  5. I love rimmels version of the chubby stick! The colour is lovely xo

    http://sheworewhatxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed with it, I usually opt for light pinks and neutrals but thought I'd give it a go and I love the colour so much! Really nice for autumn!xx

      Delete
  6. I really want to try out the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo, there's been so many positive reviews on it that I just need to check it out! :) xx

    adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept reading lots of great things about it too, I'd say while it isn't a miracle cure for breakouts it does make my skin feel softer and less sore, and it keeps shine at bay!xx

      Delete
  7. Rocket Maskara is nice but difficult to remove:/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I read and reply to every comment and would love to hear what you think x