Wednesday 26 June 2013

Haul: Because you can never have too many lipsticks

Everyone, and I mean everyone, seems to have come across the wonder that is the £1 lipstick from MUA Makeup Academy. Smooth texture, highly pigmented and pretty long lasting, these lippies have become a bit of a collectors item. I've seen lots of blog posts featuring various lipstick bundles but thought I'd throw in my two cents and do a haul post of my own, featuring my MUA lipstick collection. Because you can never have too many lipsticks, and you can never see too many swatches!


Lovely £1 lipsticks! 

I've got a pretty modest collection of eight colours, ranging from nude to peach to pink to fuchsia. The finishes available range from cream to pearlescent to glitter, and I have two colours in particular that count as firm favourites. 

L-R: 15 Juicy, 16 Nectar, 11

L-R: 15 Juicy, 16 Nectar, 11

'Juicy' is one of my favourite colours. As you can see in the swatch above, it's a pale orange coral with hints of pink. Perfect for wearing with a tan, this is such a summery shade. The finish is creamy with no shimmer. 'Nectar' is a brighter, stronger orange, also with a cream finish. '11' is a lovely browny-pink nude, again with a cream finish. 

L-R: 7, 6, 2

L-R: 7, 6, 2

'7' is a golden coral peach colour with a pearlescent finish. I really like the gold shimmer and love this when worn with a slick of clear lipgloss on top. I find the pearlescent finish a little dated when worn without gloss, but this is just my personal preference! '6' is a deep pink, again with a pearlescent finish, and '2' is a purple-plum colour with hints of violet, also with a pearlescent finish. I really like '2' for a dramatic lip look. 

L-R: 12, 3

L-R: 12, 3

I've got two pink shades from the collection, although I only intended on having one of these! I'd had my eye on '3' for ages and was waiting for my local Superdrug to restock their MUA stand. When they eventually restocked I went on a little MUA spree and in my excitement managed to accidentally pick up '12' instead of my beloved '3'. Disaster! '12' is a glittery bright pink, and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of glitter when it comes to lipsticks. Still, it gives a nice wash of colour and is a fun shade to have in my collection. You never know when it might come in handy! 

'3' is my absolute favourite from the collection. It's a hot pink fuchsia with a smooth cream finish, and it looks so gorgeous on! I'm loving bright colours at the moment and it's a great quality bargain addition to my lipstick stash. It applies easily and neatly straight from the bullet and lasts a long time if you blot your lips following the first coat before applying another coat to finish. 

Each lipstick comes in simple black and silver packaging, and they all have a pleasant sweet scent. Only a couple of the colours have actual names, hence the numbers referred to throughout, but as long as you know which number you're looking for you should be fine (although clearly I couldn't quite cope with only having a number to go by, hence my pink lipstick mistake!) It's pretty awesome that my stash of eight lipsticks only cost £8 in total. MUA might not have the colour variety of a brand like MAC, or the staying power of some other high street brands, but for £1 each and a good quality finish you really can't go wrong. 

According to MUA's website there are 16 shades available, so I've still got lots more swatches to come! 

Browse MUA lipsticks here

6 comments :

  1. These are so good. My mind was blown when I realised that the bottom came off these!!!! Iv followed on GFC and would love if you could follow back
    Thepowderednose.Blogspot.Com
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the little screw off bottom amazing?! Haha, and really handy if you run out of lippie!xx

      Delete
  2. You make me want to go out and buy lipsticks. I do have two of my own. One red (for my short stint in a National Theatre of Scotland production) and a nude one which reappeared today after disappearing for a few months (coat pocket). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At £1 each you could try out all sorts of colours :) I've only recently started wearing lipsticks, used to wear tinted balms and lipglosses but I'm loving a bit more colour at the moment!xx

      Delete
  3. Juicy looks lovely!! :)
    Great haul, a girl can never have too many lippies!
    LouLovesbeauty
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, the more lipsticks the better!xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I read and reply to every comment and would love to hear what you think x